Wednesday, January 29, 2014

10 Things I Did This Week Instead of Writing a Blog Post

I'm stuck this week, guys. Out of ideas. Completely blocked. I've got nothing.

I guess I should feel lucky that it didn't happen sooner. I mean, this is blog post number forty. For forty weeks I've had something to say. In fact, usually I've got three weeks of things to say planned out, but this week my Wednesday deadline has drawn closer and closer, and I've just kept assuming something will come to me.

It hasn't.

So what have I been doing all week?

- I Googled historical serial killers until 2 am on a weeknight.

It's not even the first time I've done this. I'm not sure what prompted it. I sat down to try to write something, and before I knew it I was typing Elizabeth Bathory into Wikipedia. Homegirl allegedly bathed in the blood of virgins to stay young and is thought be the most prolific female serial killer in history.

Shit, Becky.

This of course led to clicking Delphine LaLaurie, and then Darya Nikolayevna Saltykova, and then La Quintrala. It f#%!ed up my dreams for days!

Bitches be cray.

- I made Ranch Chicken Enchiladas

I've been cooking pretty regularly lately, actually. It really is proving to be much cheaper to cook one big meal and then prepackage leftovers for the rest of the week. Surprisingly, it's also much more convenient. I kind of just always assumed that the time to prep an actual meal was so obnoxious that it wasn't worth it. I never factored in the time I've wasted going out every night to find something to eat for supper though.

And you know what not having to leave the house means...

Heaven.
I didn't love the enchiladas right out of the oven, but they made for some seriously delicious leftovers. I'm a bit sad that they're gone! You can find the recipe here (and if you're not already following me on Pinterest, what the hell are you waiting for?).

- I cleaned my kitchen.

Along with the cooking I've been doing recently, I've been actually cleaning up after myself. Typically I'd let my mess pile up until I'm pretty sure FEMA is going to have to step in. Lately though, I've started to clean up as I go. Again, it's shocking to me how little time it takes and how much stress it saves in the long run. How am I 27 years old and just realizing this?!

I was also quickly running out of room in my refrigerator, so I devoted a Saturday night to clear out that disaster area.

I found so much surprise wine.

It was much more fun than the surprise tupperware container full of moldy mussels. 

- I accidentally read a book meant for someone at a 6th grade reading level.

After finishing She's Come Undone, I needed something light...like super light. So I grabbed a book that I picked up at a thrift store for a buck that appeared to be a gay themed young adult fiction novel. I love young adult fiction, but I'm not sure I like super young adult fiction. The main character is thirteen, and he's pretty scared about holding someone's hand...and yet I'm still reading.

Maybe it'll help me work through some of my own intimacy issues.

- I watched Elizabethtown

I don't need your judgement.

- I watched Elizabethtown again.



- I started planning my birthday party!

For the past five years or so I've been throwing my own birthday party. Before that I had a long string of really awful birthdays. It was largely because I was kind of a dick about the whole thing. I made a big deal out of how terrible my birthday was, telling people that I'd rather we just ignore it all together. Then I would punish them if they didn't ignore my specific instructions to let the day pass unnoticed, and throw me a wonderful party.

I was a really good friend.

By just taking the party into my own hands, I ensure that everything gets done exactly as I'd like. It started out with just two or three of us getting a hotel room up in the Twin Cities and going out to the bars, but it's grown dramatically since then. The past few years we've had anywhere from 15-23 people in our party, and shit gets crazy.


I. Can't. Wait.

- I reminisced over old family photos.

My mother's side of the family recently started a Facebook group where everyone has been sharing old photos. It's definitely one of my favorite things that has happened this month. Does anyone else ever find it kind of shocking that our parents and grandparents had entire lives before we came into the picture, or am I just that self involved?

My grandmother (sidenote, that outfit is fierce)
I kinda wanna party with Grandpa.

Of course, because I really am that self involved, I love seeing just how adorable I was as a baby.

Center of attention from the start

- I went grocery shopping.

I bought some legit groceries. Normally my trips to the store are for a frozen pizza, two boxes of Dots, and the largest bottle of Diet Coke I can find.

This time, though, I didn't buy a single thing that could be unwrapped, heated up, and eaten. I bought food that would need to be prepared. In fact, once I finish this up, I'm going to go make soup...like from scratch.

I also stocked up on ingredients to start making Green Smoothies for breakfast. I've had quite a few friends raving about these things, and when I found a pin on Pinterest that spells it out super simply (check it out here) I had to give it a try! After day one, I think I'm a fan.

- Apparently I grew the f#%! up!

As I spent the entire week struggling to write on the topic of behaving like a mature adult...I behaved like a mature adult. I ate well. I cleaned. I stayed in instead of going out and spending money, and I only drank like three bottles of wine.

Without even trying.

So...I guess...we're through here? Blog over?


Nah, you're not getting rid of me that easy. Stick around, I've got some good stuff planned for the weeks to come!

(Hint: it's something involving this lovely lady)

No comments:

Post a Comment