Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Birthday Weekend Soundtrack: 2014

Birthday weekend planning is in full swing, and it's never stressed me out quite like it has this year. Couple that with a 60 hour work week, and I really don't have to time to do much writing this week (at least not if I'm going to be playing three hours of The Sims and watching Gilmore Girls at the end of the night as well). 

So, two birds, one stone, this week I'm going to share the soundtrack I'm making for this year's birthday celebration. Making mixed CD's is kind of my favorite thing in the world, so a few years ago I started to make copies of my playlist for everyone who would be attending my party as a show of appreciation. I assume no one has touched them since, but I got to feel good about it at least.

1. Into the Blue- Kylie Minogue


I feel like a Kylie song as the first track sets the tone for what we're getting into here. A super gay collection of mostly dance songs. Kylie seems to have the market cornered on dance jams about not needing nobody to be fierce and fabulous. 

And seriously. This video. She's f%#!ing stunning!

2. Let's Have a Kiki- The Scissor Sisters


This song bugged me so much when I first heard it, but now I seriously can't stop singing it to myself in my best Ana Matronic voice.

3. Hold On- Colbie Caillat


I've resisted loving Colbie Caillat for long enough. Every time a new single comes out, I fall in love with it, but it always feels kind of shameful, like I don't want to like her because I feel like I'm expected to like her. This one got me though. I can't get enough. Screw my pride.

4. Stand by Your Man- Willam (ft. Drake Jensen)


The first (but not the last) drag queen on the list. Willam is possibly my favorite person on the planet (sorry 'bout it, people I actually know), and her take on this Tammy Wynette classic is everything, and her silver sequined dress in the video is exactly what I'm expecting from the ladies in the group on the 22nd. Take note.

Also, where can I find the bar full of line dancing gay cowboys?!

5. Flesh- Simon Curtis


This one makes me feel a bit dirty (in the best possible way) when I listen to it. I love everything Simon Curtis does.

6. Helen Keller- Cazwell and Manila Luzon


Seriously. This song. I can't stop.

7. Gold Trans Am- Ke$ha


Ke$ha is probably the greatest lyricist of our generation, "Sweet ass mullet, caught my eye. Now you got me jonesin' for a mustache ride." Brilliant.

8. Candy Yum Yum- Kevin Mikal


Proof that you ladies don't have the market cornered on being objectified in music videos. 

Also, more Willam!



9. Raise Hell- Brandi Carlile 


I've been using this as my personal theme song for the last year or so after watching Ally McBeal and realizing that all I was missing in life was a song to play in my head when I'm feeling beaten down and short on confidence. I love what she says in the introduction to this song about making a promise to herself to be reckless and not make any apologies.

10. SMS (Bangerz)- Miley Cyrus (ft. Britney Spears)


I can't figure out what the f%! this song is about (or why I love it so), but I was feeling compelled to include a Miley Cyrus song, and this one has Britney Spears in it, so...

11. Good Time- Paris Hilton (ft. Lil Wayne)


I've made no secret about my love for Paris Hilton's 2006 debut album (I like really, really love it), so I was thrilled to hear she was releasing another single. It didn't disappoint. 

12. The Wire- Haim


My sister introduced me to this song while I was home for Christmas, and it's made its way onto every playlist I've made since. Ob. Sessed.

13.  High Society- Betty Who


Another of my new favorites introduced to me by my sister. I think it's almost entirely because of the line, "We'll drink chardonnay through the day 'cause we say so..."

14. Work B**ch- Britney Spears


No explanation required. Watch the video. Drink it in.

So f%#!ing amazing.

15. I Hate my Job- JbDubs

The song's fun, but the video is really the best part.

Dem legs!

16. She Doesn't Know- Willam


I could only find the teaser for this song, it'll do the trick. 

17. Champion- Courtney Act


My favorite from this season of RuPaul's Drag Race (whose song Welcome to Disgraceland was on my birthday soundtrack a few years ago) covering one of RuPaul's sings, and dare I say, doing so better than Ru herself.

18. Love You When I'm Drunk- Mika



Been there.

19. Do What U Want- Lady Gaga (ft. Christina Aguilera) 


I kinda hated this first song in its first incarnation (is no one else uncomfortable about singing "Do what you want with my body" with someone with as many sexual assault accusations as R Kelly?!), but I adore this one!


So that's it, the 2014 Birthday Weekend Soundtrack (and also a 25 minute blog post). I've also got room for one more track to make a full CD. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment